GoGo Penguin: Live from Studio 2, Abbey Road Studios, London (2020) + Videos
Genre: electrifying live performers, crossing the border between repetitive minimalism and acoustic electronica
After watching Hania Rani’s video at the beginning of the month “ Live from Studio S2 “as well as the last Album “Home” I’ve listened to it over and over again, including on YouTube, it was only a matter of time before the omniscient algorithm would recommend something related to me. And so it was, GoGo Penguin was suggested to me several times – and one fine day I followed the recommendation. Almost immediately I was on fire, because the music by Hania Rani, which I have listened to with passion over the past few weeks and discussed in a review, has paved the way for me to GoGo Penguin.
But before I tell you the albums from 2020 and the remix album GGP / RMX (release on May 7, 2021), I should bring you closer to the videos that were made in 2020 and 2021. Because GoGo Penguin, the trio from Manchester in UK, is particularly fascinating with the live performances and, as a border crosser between repetitive minimalism and acoustic electronica, presents immensely fascinating soundscapes and is also a real feast for the eyes and ears from an audiovisual point of view.
I have put together the latest live videos for you in a playlist with 9 tracks, which are made up of tracks from “Live from Studio 2” (from the venerable Abbey Road Studios in London) and a few other performances.
- GoGo Penguin – Petit_a (Live from Studio 2)
- GoGo Penguin – Atomized (Live)
- GoGo Penguin – Kora (Live)
- GoGo Penguin – Atomized (Live From Studio 2)
- GoGo Penguin – Totem (Live From Studio 2)
6. GoGo Penguin – Kora (Live Clip From Studio Two)
7. GoGo Penguin – Protest (Live Clip From Studio Two)
8. GoGo Penguin – F Maj Pixie (Live)
9. GoGo Penguin – Don’t Go (Live)
The live tracks are arranged in a fascinating manner throughout, Rob Turner with acoustic drums and Nick Blacka on acoustic bass provide the rhythmic foundation on which pianist Chris Illingworth, with his broad piano runs, is allowed to meander impressively and sometimes like to dash forward.
Outstanding is the pearly “Atomised”, the mystical “Totem”, the angry, whipping “Protest” and my absolute favorite – the cloudy, flowing “Kora”.
You can find all of these tracks on the fantastic live album “Live from Studio 2, Abbey Road Studios, London”, which I warmly recommend to you.
The sound quality of “Live from Studio 2” in 24 bit / 96 kHz is great and convinces with crystal clear, never sharp-sounding highs and deep, cleanly mixed bass.
Facts about GoGo Penguin – Live from Studio 2:
Artist: GoGo Penguin
Title: Live from Studio 2 (Live from Studio 2, Abbey Road Studios, London / 2020)
Label: Blue Note (UMG)
Release date: November 07, 2020
Genre: Modern Jazz
7 tracks • 35m 08s
Available at Qobuz in Hi-Res
24-bit / 96 kHz stereo
Studio 1 (High End):
- 2 x System Audio SA Mantra 50 (front)
- 1x System Audio SA Mantra 10 AV (center)
- 2x System Audio SA Legend 5 (rear)
- 1 x System Audio Saxo 10 (subwoofer)
- 4 x Onkyo SKH-410 (B) (Dolby Atmos)
- Auralic Altair (audio streaming client with max. 32 bit / 384 kHz)
- NVIDIA Shield Pro with Plex, Kodi (max 192 kHz for Audio, Tidal (MQA Streaming Client)
- AppleTV 4K (Streaming Client) Dolby Atmos, HDR, Dolby Vision
- Amazon Cube 4K (Streaming Client) Dolby Atmos (restricted), HDR, Dolby Vision
- Panasonic DP-UB9004 (4K UHD Player) Dolby Atmos, HDR, Dolby Vision
- Oppo UDP-203 (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player) Dolby Atmos, HDR, Dolby Vision
- Yamaha CX-A5100 (Preamp) 4K, Dolby Atmos, Hi-res
- Yamaha MX-A5000 (Power Amp)
- Sony KD-55A1 (TV) 4K OLED, HDR, Dolby Vision
Studio 2 (Near Field): Studio 3 (Consumer):
Studio 2 (Near Field):
Studio 3 (Consumer):