Also available in ...: Deutsch (German)
GoGoPenguin, same Title – Album, 2020, Blue Note Labs
Genre: electrifying live performers, crossing the border between repetitive minimalism and acoustic electronica
The band’s sixth album, simply titled “GoGo Penguin”, was released in June 2020 and was the 4th album for the guys on Blue Note. Their first two albums, Fanfares (2012) and V2.0 (2015) have been released on Gondwana Records.
The album “GoGo Penguin”, which we are reviewing here, is for me one of the best albums I’ve heard across genres in the last three years. There is not a single track on this work that is not completely convincing. It’s especially the tracks “Atomised”, “Kora” and “Totem” that make sure you always put the album at the front of your record shelf – right next to Hania Rani – so that you ALWAYS have “GoGo Pengiuin” within reach.
The melancholy “Don’t Go” is also very convincing, as is the hypnotic “To The Nth”. All in all, this album seems like it was cast from a single block, the album’s running time of 43m 44s flies by and the last track “Don’t Go” on the album seems like an irresistible invitation to move the tone arm to the LP’s lead-in groove once again.istible invitation to move the tonearm to the inlet groove of the LP again.
The whole album appears like a huge erratic block high up in a lonely alpine valley, in front of which you stand admiring and ask yourself “Damn, how did he get here?”. This work is a milestone for the field of modern jazz, repetitive minimalism and acoustic electronica, as GoGo Pengiun call their sound by themselves and highly dislike to be sorted into well-packaged and hermetically sealed genre drawers….
The sound quality of the album “GoPenguin” (24 bit /96 kHz) is absolutely first class and scores with an enormously crisp recording and sensationally good three-dimensional reproduction. The bass range reaches down extremely low without any booming effect, while the treble range is reproduced very well and finely resolved, apart from the exceptions mentioned.
The overall sound impression is very powerful, harmonious, soft and finely tempered. If the treble range in the final sequence of “Open” and one or the other sequence in “Embers” would not come across a bit distorted, this album would belong to the reference class without question.
Facts about GoGo Penguin – same:
Artist: GoGo Penguin
Title: GoGo Penguin
Label: Blue Note
Release date: June 12, 2020
Ganre: Modern Jazz
10 tracks • 43m 44s
Available at Qobuz in Hi-Res
24-bit / 96 kHz stereo
Studio 1 (High End):
- 2 x System Audio SA Mantra 50 (front)
- 1x System Audio SA Mantra 10 AV (center)
- 2x System Audio SA Legend 5 (rear)
- 1 x System Audio Saxo 10 (subwoofer)
- 4 x Onkyo SKH-410 (B) (Dolby Atmos)
- Auralic Altair (audio streaming client with max. 32 bit / 384 kHz)
- NVIDIA Shield Pro with Plex, Kodi (max 192 kHz for Audio, Tidal (MQA Streaming Client)
- AppleTV 4K (Streaming Client) Dolby Atmos, HDR, Dolby Vision
- Amazon Cube 4K (Streaming Client) Dolby Atmos (restricted), HDR, Dolby Vision
- Panasonic DP-UB9004 (4K UHD Player) Dolby Atmos, HDR, Dolby Vision
- Oppo UDP-203 (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player) Dolby Atmos, HDR, Dolby Vision
- Yamaha CX-A5100 (Preamp) 4K, Dolby Atmos, Hi-res
- Yamaha MX-A5000 (Power Amp)
- Sony KD-55A1 (TV) 4K OLED, HDR, Dolby Vision
Studio 2 (Near Field): Studio 3 (Consumer):
Studio 2 (Near Field):
Studio 3 (Consumer):