Dieser Beitrag ist auch verfügbar auf: Deutsch (German)
Blockload: Live Springfestival Graz – June 3, 2021 – DanceTelevision via YouTube
Genre: Afro House, Drum & Bass, Minimal/TechHouse
Once again every year we look forward to Springfestival in Graz, Austria – and for the second time in a row the festival takes place under pandemic conditions as an online event, but at least the local crew have been there and tried to push the vibe a bit forward. This time this event took place from June 02 to 06, 2021.
The SpringFestival Graz
The initiators had again chosen impressive locations: the Open Air Museum Stübing with the sets of Blockoland and Claptone, the Erzberg Eisenberg featuring Pan-Pot and Mischkonsum as well as the Landeszeughaus Graz, where Kayoz and Meilenstein were performing.
I had the chance to watch Blockoland for the first time at the Springfestival Graz 2020 and was impressed. He had a cohesive set, the transitions were perfect, and the track selection was top notch. And so very different from what else you could get during the festival. I have already covered Blockoland’s 2020 set in detail, at this link you can also find the video of Blockoland’s 2020 set.
Already DJing since 2007, Blockoland has taken advantage of the “Great Dark Time” that came upon the world with the pandemic and produced remixes and a whole series of tracks that he hopes to present to us in the second half of 2021. At the beginning, the “Block Collective” was made up of three people, two people took care of the DJ sets, a third person was responsible for the visual design, but today Blockloand plays under this name mostly alone, but from time to time his old buddy sporadically joins in.
Then the guys really kick ass, as they did a few weeks ago at the Postgarage in Graz, but of course this always requires a certain preparation, so it doesn’t work completely spontaneously.
Blockoland’s 2021 Set at Springfestival Graz 2021
Since 2007 Blockloand has continuously developed his style, his sets, which are somehow located between Minimal TechHouse, Drum & Beat and “twisted AfroHouse”, as Blockoland has aptly described it himself, have a lot of charm with a strong pinch of ethnic influences and are impressive with a more than just well done track selection. Blockoland’s selection is always convincing across the line, as the tracklist impressively shows:
- Dance Again (Original Mix) – Tayllor / Safe Music
- Kuzco (Original Mix) – Tom Nikso, Dandara / A Tribe Called Kotori
- Zawya (Jay Fase Remix) – Balata, Achex / My Other Side of The Moon
- No Limit (Enoo Napa Instrumental) – Luka, Jackie Queens / FOMP
- Bana (Original Mix) – El-Dar / Safe Ltd. (Safe Music Limited)
- Nature (Original Mix) – Ian Ludvig, Idd Aziz / Connected Frontline
- Elegia (Original Mix) – Matthias (RU) / Go Deeva Records
- Places We Hide – Baime & Chris McCarthy / Radikon
- Walking Away – Mind Against / Afterlife Records
- Mantra (Original Mix) – Tayllor / Go Deeva Records
- Different Versions of Your Love – Echonomist / Innervisions
- My Beloved (Original Mix) – Underspreche / TAU
- Te Quiero (Jay Fase Remix) – Inessa / Worx
- Shadow Dance (Original Mix) – Eynka / Diynamic
- It Hurts (Rodriguez Jr. Remix) – Jessica Eve, Harry Romero / Crosstown Rebels
- Bjorn-Wolf – Son Race Edit / Beggars Banquet / 4AD
- Haveli – Innellea / Innellea
- Closer – WhoMadeWho, ARTBAT / Watergate Records
- The Future Is The Past (Original Mix) – Colyn / DGTL
DanceTelevision has – as in the previous year – taken over the visual realization and also the distribution on various channels, for example as a simultaneous broadcast on DanceTelevision itself including all available apps, as well as on Facebook and also on YouTube.
This allowed the organizers to drastically increase the reach, even though the weather was lousy and rainy this time and therefore there was no talk of brilliance this time. Besides, the green headlights were annoying, because that’s why Blockoland appeared as green as Hulk sometimes.
In all other respects, picture quality at 1080p was very good, with quite good sharpness values.
The sound quality was quite good at 192 kbps / AAC. The bass range was well structured and reached down low, midrange and treble frequencies all were OK.
The Bottom Line:
Blockoland’s DJ set at the SpringFestival Graz 2021 was extremely impressive and convincing with a perfect track selection as well as absolute top class transitions, the whole set appeared as if it was made out of the same mould, without any breaks or mistakes.
Studio 1 (High End):
- 2 x System Audio SA Mantra 50 (front)
- 1x System Audio SA Mantra 10 AV (center)
- 2x System Audio SA Legend 5 (rear)
- 1 x System Audio Saxo 10 (subwoofer)
- 4 x Onkyo SKH-410 (B) (Dolby Atmos)
- Auralic Altair (audio streaming client with max. 32 bit / 384 kHz)
- NVIDIA Shield Pro with Plex, Kodi (max 192 kHz for Audio, Tidal (MQA Streaming Client)
- AppleTV 4K (Streaming Client) Dolby Atmos, HDR, Dolby Vision
- Amazon Cube 4K (Streaming Client) Dolby Atmos (restricted), HDR, Dolby Vision
- Panasonic DP-UB9004 (4K UHD Player) Dolby Atmos, HDR, Dolby Vision
- Oppo UDP-203 (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player) Dolby Atmos, HDR, Dolby Vision
- Yamaha CX-A5100 (Preamp) 4K, Dolby Atmos, Hi-res
- Yamaha MX-A5000 (Power Amp)
- Sony KD-55A1 (TV) 4K OLED, HDR, Dolby Vision
Studio 2 (Near Field): Studio 3 (Consumer):
Studio 2 (Near Field):
Studio 3 (Consumer):